Tuesday 9 February 2010

John Broughton Hi-Tec lifestyle manager gives us an update!

So last weekend was a training race over two days.
Saturday was 33 miles from Farnham to Merstham over and along the north downs.
Sunday was 33 miles from Merstham to Farnham, retracing the steps from the previous day - meaning a nett achievement of 0 miles I suppose!

Top two things to take with you on an ultra trail marathon through woods, hills and forests in the fog:

1) Map

2) Compass

Obviously I didn't take either of these in my capacity as naïve trail runner, nor did the two other guys that I got lost with on the first day - hence our 30 minute and additional 2 mile detour. Fortunately we found some other 'explorers' with a map who managed to point us in the right direction. Some other poor competitors got involved with a police helicopter search, so we got off lightly compared with some.

The route was incredibly hilly, and also really boggy / muddy, so quite hard work with the backpack on, and we eventually crawled home in about 5 and a half hours. At least my house was quite close to the finish so at least I got to go home for the evening and sleep in a bed, whereas most of the competitors were on a school hall floor. I suppose that may be construed as 'cheating' - sorry.  Curry was nice that evening!

Then the taxi arrived to take us to the start at 7am on Sunday. It's actually not a very pleasant feeling the next day knowing that you have to do it again, when your legs are saying 'stay in bed', and your head is saying 'stay in bed'. Even going down the stairs is quite funny - you have to giggle because it's so painful.

So off we went, 8am start, and it was a real slog on the second day. The first 3-4 miles was a long climb, and not much fun.

The format was:

- Walkers start at 7am

- Runners start at 8am

- Elite runners start at 9am (anyone under 6 hrs from the day before)

I had to start at 8 as I had to catch my flight to ISPO, and I was working on the HI-TEC stand.

Bizarrely, I found myself at the front of the race at 22 miles - this was an awful situation, as my direction sensor was clearly mis-firing based on Saturday's evidence. Obviously I then managed to take a wrong turning and got lost again. Met a nice couple after 10-15 minutes with a map - the world would be a worse place without the lovely map people.....the special ones. They told me to head south for a mile or so, and I would find the north downs way again.

I hit the trail in time to see the other runners all coming through. I also hit the 'wall' at this point, with another 10 miles to go. It's a shame that the backpack and contents were so expensive, as I would happily have discarded them at this point if it was an option - Christmas presents, so couldn't do that and look my family in the face!

Walked most of the last two hours, and limped home in a very sorry 6 hours or so.

Felt good to have done it, but the terrain, the mud and the 'weight' really took it out of me.
Very, very hungry afterwards, and ate enough for a family of 4 at Gatwick.
Strange urge for diet Coke as well after running.

The masseur at the race told me that my legs could actually form a 'case study' for students of massage, due to the tightness in them. Booked in for a sports massage on Wednesday night, and have been advised to bring some wood to chew on - already not looking forward to Thursday.....

Take a look at John's Justgiving page

John Broughton
Hi-Tec Lifestyle Manager

No comments:

Post a Comment