Thursday 4 February 2010

John Broughton - HI-TEC Lifestyle Manager tells us about his latest training adventures in preparation for the insane event - The Marathon des Sable...


So with just 8 weeks to go, it's all starting to become a little 'real'. The marathon des sables that is - a 6 day jog in the Sahara desert, covering approximately 150 miles, roughly 6 marathons.

Carrying all your own gear is the biggest inconvenience, as all the organisers provide you with is a 'tent for 8' each night and limited water each day. Plus 200 salt tablets and an emergency flare. Just hope I don’t come across any snakes, as I have a bit of a mental block where snakes are concerned.

It all started about 4 year's ago just after we hit 40; a friend of mine called Simon Grimsell and I realised that our rugby careers were nearing an end, and that we needed the 'next challenge' - mid life crisis I suppose. Didn't realise you had to apply 2 years before the actual event and obviously couldn't get in. Tragic circumstances then ensued and Simon took his own life. I wanted to do it in memory of Simon and fortunately, my friend Georgie and I got entry into this year's race.

I use the word 'fortunately' with some hesitance.

I'm in trouble at home because I keep spending too much on techie gear that "I'll never use again", apparently. Helen just doesn't understand that every man should have a lightweight titanium billy can and spork!

So with 8 weeks to go injuries in the bag are:

Right Achilles tendon inflamed and somewhat uncomfortable

Right ITB - band from your bum to your knee - hurts every time I run, especially with a backpack! Seeing the physio tomorrow, and expect to be told not to run, which isn't really an option. Hopefully it is a damage limitation exercise on both.

Biggest concern for the race:
-My feet crack if I fly over sand, let alone stand in it. Worried I will lose the skin on my feet, and be unable to put any weight on them.

I am hopefully attaching some gaiters to my shoes in an effort to keep the sand out, though this is highly unlikely !

Compulsory gear that you have to carry are:
- Backpack
- Sleeping bag
- Torch
- Safety pins (?!)
- Compass
- Lighter
- Whistle (in case of any sporadic footy matches kicking off I guess ?)
- Knife
- Disinfectant
- Anti-venom pump.....back to snakes again !
- Signalling mirror
- Survival blanket

Obviously on top of that there is all your food, a stove, your clothes (as it drops below zero at night) and your water, which I think is limited to 9 litres per day.

This weekend we have two ultra trail marathons on the hilly north downs way.

33 miles out on Saturday and 33 miles back the next - probably with backpacks (see how we feel Saturday morning!)

Watch this space to see how we get on. Already looking forward to Sunday night's curry.

John Broughton
Hi-Tec Lifestyle Manager

1 comment:

  1. Just been talking about my cousin simon grimsell with my son and this item came up. Simon was such a beautiful person still greatly missed to this day. Hope you didn't mind me sending this message.

    ReplyDelete